The first microphones were invented as far back as the 1870’s, but that’s before there were any tube amplifiers! We’ve come a long way, though most mic inventions occurred 70 to 90 years ago. John Holt is an expert on vintage microphones and gives us a fascinating look and lesson.
- Microphones part 1 – The Carbon Era
- Universal Microphone Company – Double Button Microphones
- Ribbon microphones
- Modesto Radio Museum
- Blumlein Pair mic technique – Wikipedia
- Principles of the Blumlein Stereo Technique
- How to Set Up Blumlein Stereo Pair Recording
- Sound Recording Research at Bell Labs
- Elvis and the Shure 55S
- Altec 639 “Birdcage” mic
- James West Forever Changed the Way We Hear the World
- Coutant – Web site dedicated to Microphone History
- American Radio History web site – Fantastic archive!
TWIRT IS SPONSORED BY
Lawo and the new Ruby Visual Radio Console – Ruby is a new kind of console for a new radio environment. By BSW – Broadcast Supply Worldwide – where it’s the June Summer Clearance. Save up to 54 percent at BSWUSA.com. And by The Telos Alliance and the new Omnia VOLT audio processor. Leave your competition in the dust!